Sunday 2 March 2014

I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore Part 1

Attitude.
It's important. It can make your life in China wonderful or it can make your life in China into a living hell.  It's the same China either way - it won't have changed - but what's inside you can turn a great experience into a terrible one, a pleasure to be savoured into a purgatory to be endured.

It's all in the attitude.

The first step towards getting the right attitude is to remember one simple thing. You aren't in Kansas anymore. Nor in Sydney, Birmingham, Cardiff or wherever. You're in China. Don't expect it to be the same as home.

If you expect everything here to be just the same as at home then you are going to be powerfully disappointed. Everything from shopping to visiting the doctor, from eating out to getting your shower fixed will be different to some degree or other. It might be a small difference. It might be incomprehensibly alien. It will be different.
How that difference affects you depends on you.

Here are a few of the things that might cause you some alarm, but shouldn't really.
The food is different
Boy is it different.  There will be things here that only the bravest of westerners will take to - such as pigs entrails or chicken feet. But there are lots of amazing things too. Try the ones that you want to and politely decline the others. Just accept that the Chinese put salad cream on fruit salad and move on to something else.
You won't starve here - in fact your diet is likely to be substantially healthier.

Shopping is different

I am the world's worst bargainer. I like countries where the price marked is the price paid. (OK - in some US states the price marked plus whatever taxes are applicable is the price paid, the principle is the same) Here, in most places you bargain. You don't bargain in supermarkets or, usually, when buying food, but everything from a pair of glasses to flash drives for your computer to a new washing machine to a bunch of flowers for your girlfriend is fair game. I once wanted to buy a sweater. It was marked up at 300 yuan. My Chinese friend started to bargain and I walked out of the shop with two sweaters at a total of 290. Less than half price.
No one is trying to rip you off. They start at the same price for Chinese customers too. They're just better at bargaining. And, if all else fails remember that most things are cheaper than at home anyway. Even at the starting price.

Health and Safety

The fuses blow in my apartment if I try to boil a kettle while I'm ironing a shirt. There are open manholes in unlit alleys. Apartment blocks as high as twelve floors may have only stairs and no elevators. The tap water isn't safe to drink and even boiling it - while killing micro organisms - may only concentrate other contaminants. Drivers rarely pay any attention to pedestrians. There are a hundred things a day that make me think I'd be safer if I'd taken up alligator wrestling.
When the fuses blow I step onto the landing and reset them and turn something off. I bought a flashlight so that I can see the holes in the ground. I tell myself that the exercise is good for me as I slog my way up the stairs. I drink bottled water (which is very cheap). I pay close attention when crossing the street.
And I don't worry about any of it. I just accept the way things are is the way things are.

Hospitals

Whether it's a broken leg, food poisoning or a boil on the bum you may need to use Chinese hospitals at some time in your stay. So what? I've heard of teachers wanting to fly home to treat even minor ailments but there's no need. Sometimes the decor may leave a bit to be desired but the standards of hygiene and treatment are just fine. If you are out in the country you might need to go to the nearest big city but it's not a problem. They have well-trained doctors and modern equipment. 
One difference you'll notice is that they rarely give injections and prefer to give medicines via IV. Look on it as an hour's rest in bed.

I'll do more later but for now remember that the experience of China is whatever you make it. China is not going to miraculously change just for our benefit so keep smiling and keep repeating :We're not in Kansas anymore".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.